DIY or company?- Being informed is key. Before you can tackle the pest problem in your home you will first have to get information on what is the pest type, nature, and extent of the problem.
Now you can identify the method to use to rid your home of the pest. Integrated Pest Management must be the basis of any pest control process. What this means is that a combination of mechanisms, chemicals, and environmental methods are employed to combat your problem.
Pest control services are always recommended instead of trying to handle the problem yourself, due to the time, effort, and costs you will incur that will be significantly more than that of a professional.
Some pests are also of such a nature that it can be deadly for you to tamper and anger the creatures for example bees.
Specialist know-how is also required for some pests such as termites.
Treatment intervals depend on the type of pest infestation. Regular applications are a common recommendation.
Prevention is always better than cure. Guarding your home against invasions need not be a costly mess and fuss. The solution is to make your home as unattractive as possible to the creatures.
Wood is the greatest pest magnet on the face of the earth, so avoid wood to ground contact, wood timbers for landscape purposes as well as wood piling near your home.
Replace your outside white light bulbs with yellow ones.
Chemical treatment is often the only solution for getting rid of pests, although not always preferred. This is often the case with huge, uncontrollable infestations. Luckily, less toxic chemical alternatives are now on the market with a limited effect on the environment and your health.
However great caution must still be exercised as it remains a chemical and chemicals are dangerous.
Mechanical pest control is a very popular alternative to chemical treatments. Hormone, snap, light and sticky traps can be used to catch the irritating pest without the risk of poisoning yourself, family or pets.
However, these mechanisms can also hurt uninformed persons so take the time to tell them what the mechanism’s purpose is.
You should be very careful with pest control chemicals. Make sure you read the directions thoroughly and that you wear protective gear such as boots and long sleeve shirts. Although some less toxic alternative is available it does not mean that they are non-toxic and entirely safe.
Contact or inhalation of the chemicals by humans or pets can cause serious illness or even death. After-use storage is also a very important responsibility. Make sure that the chemicals are stored in a manner and place not easily accessible, preferably locked away.
Food containers or cool drink bottle usage for poison storage purposes can be fatal, so avoid this practice, please.